DCAF – Geneva Center for Security Sector Governance is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, rule of law, respect for human rights and gender equality. Since its inception in 2000, DCAF has helped make peace and development more sustainable by helping partner states and international actors supporting those states to improve their security sector governance through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes standards and good practices, provides legal and policy advice, and supports capacity building for state and non-state actors in the security sector.
The members of the DCAF Board of Trustees represent more than 50 countries and the canton of Geneva. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world’s leading centers of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation and gender equality. For more information, visit www.dcaf.ch and follow us on Twitter @DCAF_Genève.
For our sub-Saharan Africa division, we are looking for a dynamic, organized and creative person to be our next
- Project Manager – Sub-Saharan Africa Division (80-100%)
- Location: Geneva
- Start date: as soon as possible
- Duration: 12 months
The Project Officer (PO) provides support in the implementation and administration of the Sub-Saharan Africa Division (SSAD) programs. Specifically, the PO will be assigned to projects in the Sahel with a regional component, including a regional project implemented in Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger and activities in Mauritania. She/He mainly assists the Program Manager (PM) and the experts deployed in project management, research, reporting and administration as well as communication. She/He also provides support in the monitoring/evaluation and coordination of program activities and in the development of new projects by contributing to the development of concept notes and project proposals. She/he supports the organization, facilitation and reporting of activities with partners in the field.
Operational / project management
- Support the project or team leader in the design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of projects and/or mandates.
- Implement or support the implementation of national or regional activities related to the project/mandate, including budget monitoring and review and support for expert missions.
- Contribute to drafting documents for internal and external audiences such as concept notes, project proposals, terms of reference, budgets, contracts, summaries, reports and planning documents.
- Prepare background summaries, speaking points, presentations and other materials as requested.
- Carry out the development of the methodology and the documentary review of the project, carry out the extraction of knowledge and process indicators, contribute to the drafting of the report.
- Support the organization of events and conferences, including with developing an agenda, identifying the venue and providing logistical support.
- Help identify evidence of successful interventions; support and manage the learning of projects and mandates, and the development of knowledge.
- Provide support to activities related to monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEAL).
- Contribute to the measurement and articulation of project results through DCAF’s Results Based Management (RBM) system.
- Contribute to the delivery of administrative and logistical support.
- Deploy on missions/mandates as a member of the team.
- Support budget planning and expenditure processes.
- Liaise with experts and service providers such as translators, graphic designers and printers; manage the drafting of the contract, the follow-up of invoices, payment, etc.
- Assist in preparing general information and DCAF documents/publications including presentations, posters, leaflets and other promotional materials.
- Manage the external and internal communication of the various projects and activities implemented in the Sahel by coordinating the development of the monthly newsletter and the bi-monthly staff newsletter and ensuring the visibility of DCAF and its partners.
- Liaise and coordinate with field offices and DCAF teams in the Sahel and provide day-to-day support/follow-up to project implementation and interact closely with colleagues from the same entity.
- Liaise with project partners and consultants as requested.
- Contribute to fundraising efforts through strategic monitoring of tenders and drafting of concept notes and project proposals in coordination with field offices.
- Contribute to the Division’s communication efforts.
- May contribute to the development and management of relations with bilateral and multilateral donors.
- Supervise junior staff.
Experience required for the position
- Master’s degree in political science, international relations, law or other related fields.
- A minimum of 3 years of professional experience in the field of governance or peacebuilding
- Familiarity with project planning and design, budget management, project implementation. monitoring and evaluation.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English and French.
- SSR knowledge or experience in regional and/or multilateral organizations or think tanks.
- Knowledge or experience in sub-Saharan Africa or the Sahel region is an asset.
- Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application is a prerequisite.
- A rewarding, dynamic and stimulating work experience;
- The chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking, values-driven people;
- The possibility of contributing to the improvement of the security of States and their population within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law and respect for human rights.
How to register
If you think you are a good fit for DCAF and the position advertised, please apply online at https://dcaf-flexperso.ch before August 30 2022enclosing :
- A one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF, as well as an indication of your availability
- A concise CV (maximum two pages)
- List of 2 references
DCAF is committed to equal opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified applicants, regardless of gender, age, disability, gender identity, religion or ethnicity.
Individuals seeking to serve with DCAF in an individual capacity will be required, if shortlisted, to complete a self-attestation stating that they have not committed or been convicted of any criminal offense and have not been involved, by act or omission, in the commission of any violation of international human rights law or international humanitarian law.