On June 14, the Portage la Prairie School Division held a board meeting and discussed a variety of topics, including:
- Ten new teachers are hired within the division.
- By-Law No. 281 being passed, allowing the Portage la Prairie School Division, if necessary, to borrow $5,000,000.00 for the purpose of meeting expenses for the next school year, if necessary.
- A pride march will be held on June 15 at each school in the division.
- Educational outings and end-of-school-year activities are approaching; send your children accordingly.
- Todd Cuddington giving his Superintendents Report, which covered Pride Month, last week’s Anti-Racism Week and Indigenous Peoples Day coming up on June 21.
- And Laura Hordeski is receiving an Excellence in Teaching Award for her work as a kindergarten teacher at Crescentview School.
Tracy Vanstone, Principal of Crescentview School, spoke about Hordeski and the work she has done.
“It is very important that we take the time to recognize the solid work of our teachers. And it is time for someone to take the time to recognize the work of Laura Hordeski, because it is exceptional, it is phenomenal.”
Vanstone continued his praise for Hordeski.
“She is one of the most outstanding teachers I have ever seen in my 25 years as a teacher and ten years as a school leader. She is a teacher with whom our local grads come back to take pictures every year. Although she was their first teacher, the grads are looking for her. It’s because of her that the French immersion program is so popular in Portage la Prairie.
The last board meeting of the school year will take place on June 28.