- The role of the Program Development Division (ECAD.1) is to contribute to the effective and efficient implementation of development interventions in RMCs, by identifying capacity gaps, budgeting, implementing and monitoring related activities throughout the project cycle.
- ECAD.1 contributes to portfolio quality by providing leadership in building the necessary human, organizational and institutional capacities of people and systems involved in the design and implementation of Bank-financed programs and projects.
Specific responsibilities of the function:
- Provide Bank operations with CD assessment tools to ensure mainstreaming of CD throughout the project cycle
- Provide guidance on capacity needs and demand assessment during project identification through assessment and propose a tailored response to optimize the achievement of project results.
- Provide forums for Bank project staff and other RMC officials to discuss project and program challenges and agree on durable solutions.
- Coordinate the execution of CD activities in collaboration with the Country Investment Team, to support project implementation and contribute to the effectiveness of Bank programming.
- Support the development of a monitoring and evaluation framework for assessing CD achievements during mid-term reviews and project completion.
- Support and establish partnerships with centers of excellence and other regional and national capacity building institutions in Africa, for the delivery of high-level training and learning activities linked to the projects.
- Coordinate the preparation of the annual report on the Bank’s CD achievements in RMCs in coordination with Bank staff involved in the development of projects and programs in RMCs.
- Generate CD-related knowledge to foster CD mainstreaming and improve development effectiveness.
- Work in collaboration with the Resource Mobilization and Partnership Unit to mobilize funds from bilateral sources for carrying out project-related CD activities.
Detailed activities related to the responsibilities of the function:
- Participate in CD and knowledge forums to align the Bank’s CD offer with demand from RMCs.
- Contribute to the review of the Bank’s core policy, strategy and operational documents.
- Assist the ECVP in the planning and holding of the annual African Economic Conference.
- Work in collaboration with the Resource Mobilization and Partnership Unit to identify bilateral sources of funds for training.
- Provide leadership in the development of CD assessment and evaluation tools for use in Bank operations.
- Oversee the Bank’s Virtual Capacity Development Academy (VCDA), including the Virtual Campus, and knowledge repositories – in particular the Virtual Knowledge and Resource Center (KVRC); and the interactive collaborative environment for CD in RMCs.
- Assist in the preparation and submission of the ECAD contribution to the AfDB annual report
- Lead the conceptualization and drafting of concept notes for Bank Group Annual Meetings and prepare post meeting minutes as well as other corporate documents, presentations and speeches.
- Coordinate the preparation of capacity development reports, articles and briefs
- Collaborate with other ECVP departments in the annual preparation of the Africa Competitiveness Indicators Report and Africa Economic Outlook Reports.
- Prepare briefs for the Senior Director and other senior staff as requested, including for the World Economic Forum online modules.
- Lead the formulation of the Division’s work plan; including the development of key performance indicators to drive the performance of the Division.
- Contribute to the preparation of annual capacity development reports.
- Represent the Senior Director at high-level meetings, conferences, etc., as requested.
- Other duties assigned by the Senior Manager.
Skills (skills, experience and knowledge)
- At least a master’s degree in economics, public policy, project management, governance or international development, with senior-level experience in addressing development issues in African countries, preferably gained in various bilateral, multilateral and/or development agencies or regional;
- At least eight (8) years of relevant experience including 3 years at management level in Bank project management, specifically in project preparation and appraisal, implementation, monitoring and measurement performs.
- Experience in designing CD measurement strategies and tools is essential.
- Experience in managing multicultural and interdisciplinary teams, donor agency CD support program in Africa with demonstrated expertise in at least one of the High Fives sectors.
- Fundraising experience.
- Strong ability to translate development challenges into knowledge leverage opportunities.
- Good knowledge of andragogy and experience in the design of training programs and modules
- Ability to think strategically and design long-term plans and programs in line with strategic priorities.
- Familiarity with operational review processes and Bank quality assurance requirements.
- Ability to establish and manage strategic partnerships for streamlined and increased CD support in RMCs.
- Results oriented
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Proficiency in the use of standard Microsoft Office suite applications.