‘Creepy’ Dawson said his wife was alive in the commune



At a wake for a family friend, Christopher Michael Dawson said his wife had been living in a township west of Sydney more than 25 years after she went missing, a judge has heard.

Giving evidence at Dawson’s murder trial on Monday, a woman said she met twin brothers Chris and Paul Dawson at a wake for Phillip Day, who had cancer and died in 2007.

She said Dawson told her his wife Lynette had left home and was living in a township in the Blue Mountains at the time. The woman asked how a woman could just get up and leave her children.

“Paul said something like ‘she was a little crazy,'” she told judge Ian Harrison.

The witness, whose husband went to Sydney Boys High School with the Dawsons, is a professional recruiter. She said she knew body language and described the Dawson twins’ behavior as “scary” because of the way they sat so close together.

“I think Chris was checking in with his older twin that he was saying the right thing. That’s the impression I got,” she said.

Dawson, now 73, is accused of murdering his wife and disposing of her body in January 1982 so he could have an unfettered relationship with a woman known as JC who was his babysitter and former high school student.

He pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Former police officer Ian Kennedy also went to the Sydney Boys. He told the court he may have attended a school reunion with the Dawsons in 1985, but denied saying Ms Dawson had been seen living in New Zealand at the time.

“I have not been involved in any investigation into Lynette’s disappearance,” he said.

Paul Dawson previously told the court his brother was pushed aside by Mr Kennedy at the meeting and told his wife’s whereabouts.

On Monday, footage emerged of Elva McBay’s local court testimony in 2020. Ms McBay, since deceased, claimed to have seen Ms Dawson in March 1983 on Macquarie Street, Sydney, during a visit from Prince Charles and of Princess Diana.

The woman appeared to emerge from Sydney Hospital, ducked under the barricade, crossed the road ahead of the royal convoy and disappeared into the crowd on the other side.

While she told her husband, “I think it was Lynette Dawson”, during the parade, Ms McBay said in 2020 that the woman was too fast and she could not confirm if she had it correctly identified or not.

Ms McBay worked at the same school as Paul Dawson and became a friend of the family, being a lifelong supporter of rugby league club Newtown Jets where the twins played as first year.

Dawson’s former neighbor Malcolm Downy testified he saw Ms Dawson ‘distressed and nervous’ when she knocked on the back door of her utility room shortly before she disappeared.

“She looked stressed and she didn’t have the kids with her. It was strange. This woman never left without her children,” he said.

The NSW Supreme Court trial continues.



Comments are closed.