About Education International
Education International is the largest sectoral global union federation bringing together organizations of teachers and other education employees from around the world. Through our 383 unions and member organizations, we represent more than 32 million teachers and education support personnel in 178 countries and territories in a common mission to achieve quality education for all.
Based at the World Secretariat in downtown Brussels, the Events, IT and Administration unit provides support to professional and elected leaders in achieving and implementing EI’s strategic objectives. Diverse, international and highly professional staff are at the heart of EI’s efforts to influence and lead global policy-making, and to defend and promote the rights of teachers and other educators.
The Assistant will join a dynamic and collegial unit, interacting at the highest professional level with staff from governmental, non-governmental and global partner organizations. The successful candidate will have some experience in organizing in-person and online events and assisting with logistical, technical and IT tasks. They will demonstrate excellent communication skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with diverse colleagues around the world, bringing a hands-on attitude, strong initiative and judgment to the job.
About the role
Reporting to the Director of IT, Administration and Events or other person designated for this purpose by the EI General Secretary, the Administrative Assistant provides a wide range of administrative support, including online and in-person events, and assists with logistical, technical, and IT-related tasks throughout the office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the logistical and administrative organization of conferences, congresses, governance meetings and other EI events
- Support the use of technical equipment and software required for live streaming and general implementation of online and in-person meetings
- Assist with general technical and procedural aspects of information technology and data management in the various backend, frontend and EI server environments
- Assist with registration workflows and travel arrangements for events and missions
- Provide general administrative support to specific individuals or units
- Other related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned
- Organized, proactive and efficient
- Excellent communication skills, able to work both in a team and independently
- Quick learner, proactive, able to anticipate emerging needs
- Advanced understanding of Office 365 software including word processing, spreadsheets, feeds, databases. Knowledge of MS Azure environment and Linux servers is an asset
- Knowledge of live streaming software and hardware and experience with technical equipment for online and in-person meetings is a distinct advantage
- Knowledge of event registration systems is welcome
- Knowledge of travel management and booking systems is helpful
- Full time position.
- Normal office hours apply Monday to Friday, although some flexibility is desirable given the international nature of the organization. Work that falls outside normal hours during weekdays and weekends can be scheduled. Travel may be required to attend meetings and functions.
- Degree or diploma in a related field.
- Experience in a similar position is welcome.
- Ability to work in English, with additional fluency in French and/or Dutch. Knowledge of any additional languages is an asset. Fluency in Arabic is an undeniable advantage.
- Experience in an associative or union environment is an additional asset.
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Salary and conditions of service are in accordance with the Education International collective agreement, which defines competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with experience and based on pre-established salary scales. This item is subject to Belgian tax regulations.
- The incumbent will be based at EI Headquarters in Brussels, but fulfilling the duties and responsibilities may require travel abroad.
- The appointment will be made from a date agreed at the end of the selection and appointment process.
All EI staff members are accountable to the General Secretary, either directly or through designated staff members. If the needs of the organization so require, staff members may be asked to perform appropriate functions related to another position, either on a temporary basis or on a permanent basis, provided that these functions correspond to the level of their position. and that their professional experience and training are adequate. Job descriptions are not final and may be adapted.
How to register
Applications should include a curriculum vitae (CV) and a cover letter detailing how the candidate meets the nomination criteria set out above. All applications will be treated confidentially. Please address your application to the EI General Secretary and submit it by sending it to [email protected] before 5.00 p.m. Brussels time on Friday, September 23, 2022.
EI is committed to the principles of employment equity and the diversity of its workforce.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity.
Only the people selected for an interview will be contacted.